Andrea Gavin Becker
While it can seem impossible to find a Valentine’s Day gift that truly imparts the love, joy and gratitude you want to share with that special person, we think it can be easy and (almost) free.
Those brilliant, hilarious, poignant and priceless things children say can be turned into a gorgeous keepsake to be treasured forever using the B. Quote Gallery quote maker. Here's what I did:
First, I chose a quote by my nephew I know my sister is going to love. Then I entered it into the the Quote Maker which automatically turned it into beautiful art (ready for gifting to moms, dads, grandparents, aunts, uncles, babysitters and teachers).
Once I created my quote, I downloaded it to print. (You can also click on the envelope to email it, creating a personalized e-Valentine.) When it was printed, I added a few personal touches to turn it into a gorgeous valentine.
Here are a few step-by-step instructions to create heart art for Valentine's Day:
- For each card, print a quote on matte card stock paper at your desired size. For the simplest of quotes, size them to fit in envelopes you have purchased at a stationery store or online. You can go super tiny or ultra big. Anything goes! Some of my favorite ideas are brown kraft envelopes or glassine envelopes you can find a photography supply stores.
- Round the corners of the valentine with scissors, and then have your wee one sign the valentine if you like. Finally, decorate the envelope with hearts, doodles and love. One of my favorite things to do was to make hearts with a heart hole punch out of scraps of the quotes. I also found stickers and metallic pens added to the fun.
- For a fold-over card, I simply printed 2 quotes and used glue tape to stick them together back to back. Fold over and voilà!
- For that extra special someone, try printing several quotes and using tiny clothespins and baker's twine to make a string-a-long anyone would love.
- Finally, if you want to go bigger, you can download the quote then send it to Shutterfly.com, Kodak.com, Mpix.com or Vistaprint.com to make a wonderful keepsake—a book, a bag, a calendar. You can use these quotes any way you would use a photo.
The most important thing to remember that it really truly is the thought that counts! Even a printout of a quote just folded in half would make anyone's day.
Happy Valentine's Day card making!